The Graduate School Career Development Framework facilitates Industry Experiences, as Placements, to allow you to experience current practice and develop networks while demonstrating and strengthening your Transferable Skills, Professional Skills & Research Skills.
Although the majority of students undertaking RHD studies aspire to permanent careers as university researchers, very few achieve this goal. More and more, RHD graduates are found in diverse work places where their research, project management, and communication skills are highly valued. Undertaking a placement can enhance your career options and assist you in developing skills in planning, strategy, communication and leadership. Talk to the Placements Coordinator in the UQ Graduate School to find out more about how a professional placement might help you develop your career path.
Benefits of participating in a Placement
By undertaking an Industry Experience Placement as part of your program you can:
- stand out from the crowd - UQ alone awarded 731 PhDs in 2016
- establish new industry networks and strengthen your employment opportunities post-RHD;
- gain skills in real world, applied research;
- get experience translating research findings in to meaningful outcomes;
- gain experience of different industry, government or NGO workplaces to help you to decide which career or employer is right for you;
- learn how to apply the skills you have gained as part of your research studies in the workplace, and practice adapting to a different workplace culture,
- enhance your CV and get first-hand experience with the job application process,
- demonstrate your initiative and drive to learn and create opportunities for yourself.
- Projects may require a time commitment from 30 and up to 90 calendar days (project dependent)
- Subject to approval, there may be flexibility for candidates to undertake placements full-time, or part-time, depending on the needs of the organisation
- Approved placements include UQ provided Insurance and WorkCover
- Approved placement participation will be assessed against Graduate Attributes and outcome reflected on the Academic transcript as a learning activity within the Career Development Framework
- You may be asked to provide a report on activities undertaken throughout the placement
- Students undertaking professional placements may request a milestone extension where applicable*.
Are you Eligible?
- You must be a postgraduate research higher degree student currently enrolled at the University of Queensland for the duration of the placement.
- You need to have met the requirements of the confirmation milestone.
- You must be able to demonstrate that participation in the placement will not adversely affect your progression.
- To apply you must have written approval from your supervisor.
- Most placements are open to research higher degree students from any discipline, as it is focused on the transferrable skills you gain as part of your PhD. However, in some circumstances placements may be restricted to particular student groups. Any restrictions will be shown on the placement advertisement.
- Placements are generally open to International and Domestic students (PhD or MPhil),
- If you are unsure about your eligibility please contact the Graduate School for clarification.
How to find a Placement
- You can self-source a placement opportunity and work with us to ensure it meets with UQ Graduate School placement guidelines, register your expression of interest to learn more about how to find your own.
- Alternatively, check our Career Development Framework Placements page regularly to discover new opportunities.
Download a brochure
Placements Coordinator 07 3346 0524 or email firstname.lastname@example.org